Welcome to the home of MCPL, a binary file format for usage in physics simulations.
MCPL files contain lists of particle state information, and allows for easy storage and interchange of particles between various Monte Carlo simulation applications. It is implemented in portable C code and is made available to the scientific community, along with converters and plugins for several popular simulation packages.
MCPL is described in great detail in the MCPL paper, and in particular details of the file format itself can be found in section 2. The present web-page serves as an online home for MCPL, providing both quick recipes and updated information where needed. You can download and try out the MCPL distribution right away, or use the menu above to navigate to more information.
- June 21, 2019:
released. In addition to general maintenance, this release brings support for
PHITS and a new
- September 26, 2018: v1.2.3 released. This release brings support for MCNP 6.2.
- March 7, 2018: v1.2.2 released. This is a pure maintenance release.
- January 26, 2018:
MCPL is now available on the Python Package Index!
pip install mcplnow gives access to the pymcpltool and the mcpl Python module.
- January 23, 2018: v1.2.1 released. This is a pure maintenance release.
- July 4, 2017: v1.2.0 released, bringing native python support and pymcpltool to MCPL!
- April 20, 2017: The MCPL paper (describing MCPL v1.1.0) was accepted for publication in Computer Physics Communications with full Open Access: doi:10.1016/j.cpc.2017.04.012.
- March 29, 2017: v1.1.0 released.
- September 7, 2016: v1.0.0 released.