Welcome to the home of MCPL, a binary file format for usage in physics simulations.
MCPL files contain lists of particle state information, and allows for easy storage and interchange of particles between various Monte Carlo simulation applications. It is implemented in portable C code and is made available to the scientific community, along with converters and plugins for several popular simulation packages.
MCPL is described in great detail in the MCPL paper, and in particular details of the file format itself can be found in section 2. The present web-page serves as an online home for MCPL, providing both quick recipes and updated information where needed. You can download and try out the MCPL distribution right away, or use the menu above to navigate to more information.
- October 14, 2022:
MCPL is now available on conda! Specifically in the conda-forge
conda install -c conda-forge mcplnow gives access to all the various command-line tools, and API’s for C/C++, Python, and CMake.
- October 5, 2022:
released, introducing the
mcpl-configcommand and making it easier for downstream CMake-based projects to locate MCPL.
- August 16, 2022: v1.4.0 released, updating the CMake code to support integration with downstream CMake-based projects.
- February 9, 2020: v1.3.2 released, fixing the time conversion in phits2mcpl and mcpl2phits.
- June 29, 2019: v1.3.1 released, with important bug-fixes for the Python API and the pymcpltool.
- June 21, 2019:
released. In addition to general maintenance, this release brings support for
PHITS and a new
- September 26, 2018: v1.2.3 released. This release brings support for MCNP 6.2.
- March 7, 2018: v1.2.2 released. This is a pure maintenance release.
- January 26, 2018:
MCPL is now available on the Python Package Index!
pip install mcplnow gives access to the pymcpltool and the mcpl Python module.
- January 23, 2018: v1.2.1 released. This is a pure maintenance release.
- July 4, 2017: v1.2.0 released, bringing native Python support and pymcpltool to MCPL!
- April 20, 2017: The MCPL paper (describing MCPL v1.1.0) was accepted for publication in Computer Physics Communications with full Open Access: doi:10.1016/j.cpc.2017.04.012.
- March 29, 2017: v1.1.0 released.
- September 7, 2016: v1.0.0 released.